How to Log In and Sign Out of MT4
MetaTrader 4 is one of the most popular trading platforms out there. It provides traders with versatility by default and has an active community that builds additional tools to use within the platform. Accessible, with tutorials on how to use it available anywhere, and most of all, familiar to those who have been around in trading for years – some of which take a bit of their time to guide new traders on community boards online.
When you first enter the MT4 space, you are greeted by a different window depending on your device of choice. Once you have an account and log in, you get access to all the trading options that come with your specific account type. You can switch between all accounts you have and sometimes, you may even want or need to sign out. In this piece, we will take a look at the way to log in and sign out of MT4 on various devices.
Your credentials come first
Upon registration, you will receive a confirmation email that will welcome you onto the Eightcap home. You will get several links within this email, one of which is the option to download MetaTrader 4. Once you select whether you wish to install it for Windows or Mac, you can download the file and install it.
The credentials for MT4 will also be available in the same email – there will be a login number and a login password. Keep these in mind, because after scrolling down a bit, you will find another set of credentials. This second set will be for the Eightcap Client Portal and will include a direct link to the portal as well as the username (email used to register) and password needed to login.
Logging in to MT4
Now that you have what you need, you can install MT4 and login. When you open the platform on a computer, in the bottom right corner you will see a connection indicator showing you have yet to link yourself to the network. Enabling trading and connecting to a server happens by logging in. To do so:
- Go to the File menu and select Login to Trade Account.
- In the window that pops open, copy the credentials from the welcoming email you got while avoiding to copy any blank spaces, and paste them in the corresponding fields.
- Tick Save account information if you want to enable automatic login when switching accounts or re-opening the platform.
- Select the server Eightcap-Real for Live trading accounts.
Looking at the bottom right corner, the connection indicators should now be in green while updating constantly, and the option to place trades should have also become available.
For Android and iOS devices, the process is a tad different, but it’s quite simple. On Android:
- Go to the top left corner, slide your finger to the center of the window and a menu will appear.
- Look for the option Manage Accounts and proceed to enter the credentials in the box that will appear.
- Tap the Settings option in the bottom right corner.
- Select New Account before logging in.
Signing out of MT4
Logging out of MetaTrader 4 is technically something that can happen only on a device that is not using the dedicated application. Instead, on Windows and Mac, the terminal is closed. To do so, you have to follow only two steps:
- Go to File in the top left corner of the window
- Select Exit or just close the terminal
On iOS and Android, this happens differently. For iOS devices:
- Go to the Settings button in the bottom right
- Select Trade Accounts
- Tap on the Traffic button
- The Go Online button should now be visible after you have signed out, which allows you to log in once again.
For Android devices:
- Go to the top left corner and slide across or tap the button to open the menu
- Select Manage Accounts
- Tap on Log out
Alternative options may result in disconnecting you from the broker’s server. One of them includes going to File, clicking Login, and unticking the checkbox Save account information before deleting the username and password and pressing the Login button. Another can happen by simply inputting the wrong password, which will save it and disconnect you from the server.
Expand on the drop-down menu that will appear by clicking on the boxes with a (+) sign, then double-click the account you wish to use, and enter the credentials in the pop-up window.